Profiles are used to grade your prospects based on your ideal customer profile. You can set criteria such as location, company size, job title, and other factors that you will use to tier your prospects before assignment. Pardot starts you with a default profile but you may edit this or create any additional profiles that meet your business needs. You may also use multiple profiles if you target several different audiences. For example, you may have different grading criteria for your technical prospects and your executive prospects.
- Navigate to Marketing in the top navigation.
- Mouse over Segmentation in the resulting sub-navigation.
- Click on Profiles.
- Click the +Add Profile link located in the top right of the profiles table.
- Choose a Name that will be used internally (e.g. “Default Profile” or “Executive Profile”).
- Add a Criteria Name (e.g., “Industry” or “Job Title”) and designate the corresponding Grade adjustment with which prospects will be graded based on whether or not they meet that criteria.
- Continue adding as many criteria as you would like using the plus and minus icons.
- Click Create profile when you are finished adding criteria.
Setting a Prospect’s Profile
- You can change a prospect’s profile manually by editing a prospect and selecting a profile from the profile field’s drop down menu.
- You can set your forms or form handlers to automatically set a prospect’s profile to the one you specify in your form setup.
- You can change a prospect’s profile by creating an automation rule that is triggered by a particular event. This event could be entering a specific job title or department on a form, being added to a particular list, etc.
Using Profiles to Grade Prospects
All prospects start with a grade of D. Before assigning leads, your lead qualification team should grade them so that your sales reps know how to properly prioritize them based on how well they fit your organization’s ideal customer profile.
- When viewing a prospect, his or her profile criteria will be listed in Profile tab. Simply click the thumbs up or thumbs down icons to designate whether or not the prospect meets or does not meet your criteria. If you do not know, you can leave that criteria unanswered. When you reload the page or view the prospect again, the grade will have changed.
Note: To modify your prospect’s profile criteria once the thumbs up or thumbs down has been clicked, simply click the Reset next to the profile criteria.
- You can also use automation rules to grade your prospects. For example, you could set up a rule to say:
If [prospect prospect field] [job title] [contains] [VP] or
[prospect prospect field] [job title] [contains] [Vice]
[Change profile criteria] [Default] [Job Title] [Matches]
The automation rules above would be the equivalent of manually clicking the thumbs up icon for a prospect whose job title contains VP or Vice.