Connectors allow Pardot to sync with third party applications such as a CRM system, paid search platforms, or email marketing solution. Data can be passed back and forth between the two applications allowing a user to manage many formerly disparate marketing channels from within Pardot interface.
Enabling NetSuite Connector within Pardot
- Go to Administration > Connectors.
- Click + Add Connector.
- Select NetSuite from the list of vendors.
- Enter a Name for the connector that will only be used internally (i.e. “NetSuite Pardot Connector”)
- Enter your NetSuite Username and Password (Please note that the username entered for the connector should have the ability to edit customers and contacts and view and search for employees in NetSuite. Additionally, you will need a separate user dedicated to the Pardot connector. If you use an existing username, this user will be locked out whenever Pardot is attempting to access NetSuite.) Note that if your NetSuite password changes, it must be changed here as well to maintain the connection. NetSuite requires the CRM username to be set as either a Sales Rep or with a Sales user role in order to be populated in the dropdown menu in the user preferences.
- Enter your NetSuite Account number. Note that most interactions (outside of the NetSuite application) with NetSuite will require that you know your NetSuite account number. This can be easily located from the support section of the application by clicking Support > Visit the SuiteAnswers Site > Contact Support by Phone (button on the right side of the page).
- Select your CRM Role ID, which should be a numeric value. This can be obtained by going to Setup–>Setup Manager in NetSuite and then Users/Roles in the left column –>Manage Roles. Hover over the role Name to display the number at the bottom of your browser (role.nl?id=##).
- Enter an optional Default Lead Status ID if you would like to choose which lead status we will use when Pardot creates new records in NetSuite. If you do not enter a numerical ID value here, we will use the default (we will look for lead_status ID 18, which is the default “LEAD-Qualified” status, and if that does not exist, we use the first entity_status with the word “lead” in its name). You can obtain the numerical lead status ID in NetSuite by going to Setup > Sales > Custom Statuses, clicking on the lead status that you wish to be the default, and obtaining the ID value from the page url that results (for example: https://system.netsuite.com/app/crm/sales/customerstatus.nl?id=15 would have a ID of 15).
- Check the boxes to enable any additional options:
- Use Team Selling
- Allow editing of Prospect lists within the CRM — checking this box allows CRM users to add/remove prospects from Pardot lists from within the CRM. If you have the most recent version of the Netsuite/Pardot bundle installed, the Pardot Lists iframe will automatically get added to your Netsuite user interface. Only the static lists you have defined as CRM Visible will appear in this iframe.
- Sync emails with the CRM — this automatically logs an activity for every email sent to a prospect (list, drip, autoresponder, and plug-in emails). This can quickly fill up your activity views, especially on an account object.
- Sync plugin emails with the CRM — this logs an activity for any emails your users send via Pardot for Microsoft Outlook, our Thunderbid extension, or our Apple Mail plug-in.
- Click Create Connector to save the new connection.
Your NetSuite connector will now appear in the table. Note that the status is marked as Not Verified. To ensure that you have properly set up the connector, click Verify Now. If Pardot is able to successfully send and receive data to and from NetSuite, the status will change to a checkmark denoting a proper integration.
Note: The connector needs to be set up using a username/password and role number for a user that has permissions to use Web Services and create/edit contacts and customers.
Installing Pardot Bundle within NetSuite
To add the Pardot fields and the activities iframe to the NetSuite user interface, you will want to follow the steps below:
- In NetSuite, go to Setup > Customization > Install Bundle.
- Search for Pardot Marketing Automation.
- Select the “Pardot Marketing Automation for NetSuite” bundle.
- Click Install.
- In “Preview Bundle Install” screen, select “Show on existing forms” for Pardot custom fields in the Preference column.
- [If switching from old integration] In “Preview Bundle Install” screen, select “Replace Existing Object” for existing Pardot custom fields in the Actions column.
- Click Install.
- On the next screen, you can monitor the progress of your install until 100%.
- Due to the nature of the record syncing between Pardot and NetSuite, you will need to go to Setup > Company > General Preferences and make sure Employees as Contacts is unchecked. This will prevent Pardot from syncing with employee records as if they were contacts (and overwrite information in the Pardot User profile).
- Pardot does not integrate with NetSuite sandbox accounts.
Company is displaying “To Be Generated”
If the company field in NetSuite is unavailable to Pardot due to system settings, it’s value could appear as “To Be Generated” on newly synced leads. To prevent this from occurring please use the following steps:
- Go To Setup >> Customization >> Entry Forms
- Sort by subtype and then look for the subtype of ‘customer/lead/prospect’
- Find the one that is ‘preferred’ or has a check on the right hand side.
- Click on the fields tab and make sure that ‘show’ is checked for company.
If any of your other fields are doing this as well, follow the same steps, but on step 4, make sure ‘show’ is checked for that field.
Leads as Individuals Model
Pardot currently does not fully support this model. We can still sync with an existing NetSuite lead that exists in Pardot as well, but we will never create a lead record in NetSuite. If you are using this model and would still like to utilize the NetSuite connector, you will want to make sure that your Type field is set to “Show” as described above. Otherwise, we cannot tell which type of record we are dealing with (individual or company), and we’ll assume it is a company, which will cause the sync to fail.