One of the most common objections to investing time in search engine optimization goes something like this: “I can’t keep up! Google’s always changing its algorithms, so there’s just no point.”
And to that, I say: “Stop! I believe in you!” and “Psst — basic SEO is much easier than you think.”
Sure, there are SEO experts who dedicate their entire careers to metadata and anchor text and long tail keywords, but you don’t have to spend hours a day to see serious results from your efforts. In fact, when it comes to writing optimized blog posts, you just need a few minutes.
Why should you care about SEO on your company’s blog?
For many prospective customers, your blog content will be their introduction to your website — if, that is, they come across your blog in the first place. And while some people may stumble upon your content on social media or through a colleague, search engines still reign. In fact, 63% of business leaders say they use online search as a primary tool to find content (The Economist Group).
Tip: Good SEO will get your foot in the door, but getting qualified leads in your database is the only way to really drive revenue. Check out our blog post Improving B2B Lead Generation with Your Company’s Blog for simple but effective ways to generate more leads.
Let’s take a look at the basics.
Don’t stress yourself out; the basics of SEO for blogging are easy to master when you use this six-point checklist.
Ready to get more advanced?
Once you start seeing results from the checklist above, I have a feeling you’ll be hooked on SEO. If so, I recommend checking out the following resources to help your blog posts shoot up the ranks of Google (and Bing and Yahoo, if those are more your thing).
- The Moz Blog: Moz is undoubtedly the industry-leading resource for all things SEO, and their blog is full of best practice tips, new research, and other search engine optimization insights. (Fair warning: it’s easy to get caught up reading their blog posts for hours.)
- The Complete Guide to B2B Marketing: This 80+ page guide to B2B marketing includes a chapter all about content marketing, plus even more helpful worksheets for optimizing your content for search.
- The Truth About Social Media and SEO: This short blog post explains the oft-misunderstood connection between social media and SEO. If you’re not already thinking about social networks as de facto search engines, this post will definitely change your mind.
- The 5-Step Blueprint for Maximizing Your SEO Potential: This post on the Salesforce blog explains the link between search engine optimization and user experience —and how to get better at both in five simple steps.
- A Pardot User’s Guide to Keyword Monitoring: Did you know you can use marketing automation to track and report on keywords and other SEO efforts? This article in our Knowledge Base, geared specifically to Pardot users, gives a step-by-step guide to getting started.
Did we miss any great SEO tips or resources that have helped you improve your blog posts’ rankings? Let us know in the comments — and don’t forget to grab your free copy of The Complete Guide to B2B Marketing by clicking the banner below.