Pardot’s Apple Mail plug-in allows you to send tracked emails to prospects directly from within your default email interface. Simply click the Pardot button and any links in your email will automatically be tracked behind the scenes. This will provide valuable insight into any prospect activity that occurs as a result of your message.
- Download the plug-in
- Click the download link that you were given and start the installation.
- Once the installation begins click Continue, Install, and Close once the installation is complete.
- Open the Mail application.
- Once the Mail application is loaded, go to Mail, Preferences, Accounts, and to the Pardot tab.
- Enter your Pardot email address and password.
- Check Login.
- Close Preferences and Compose a new message.
- You will now see a Send with PI button next to your normal send button. Using this will automatically track all links in your email (they must be written as http://…) and assign the recipient to you as a new prospect. If the prospect already exists in Prospect Insight, the email will be added to the existing record as an activity.
Installation Notes and Requirements
- If you do not see the button, right-click on the Compose message toolbar and select “Customize Toolbar…” and drag the “Send with PI” button to your toolbar.
- The plug-in requires OS 10.5 or greater. There is a separate installation required for the future releases of OS X.
- We have versions of this plugin for different OS and Apple Mail versions. Please refer to the section above for links to the appropriate versions.
- The plug-in is not compatible with Daylite and may not perform as expected if other plug-ins are already installed.
Using the Plug-in
When an email is sent via the plug-in’s Send with PI button, the following actions occur:
- Any link beginning with http:// (or https://) is rewritten as an individually tracked link. Links are tracked to the first recipient in the To: field of the email.
- A new prospect record, assigned to the user who sent the email, is created in Pardot. The new record will likely only have an email address and other fields may need to be filled in at a later point. If a prospect record already exists, the email is simply added as an activity associated with the prospect.
- A new lead record, assigned to the user who sent the email, is created in the connected CRM system if applicable. If a contact or lead already exists (using the identical email address), the email will simply be added to the existing record as an activity.
Prospects created vis the Apple Mail plug-in will be associated with a campaign titled “Email Plug-in” by default. To change the campaign associated with your email plug-in, administrator users can take the following steps:
- Click My Settings in the top right of the Pardot interface.
- Click Edit account.
- Select any campaign from dropdown menu.
- All emails sent using the Outlook, Thunderbird, and Apple Mail plug-ins will be tagged with this campaign.
- Because of the way Pardot uniquely tracks links, it is generally best to not send tracked emails to multiple recipients at once. If multiple people receive the email or the email is forwarded and others click the links, there is a risk that they could be tracked as though they were the first recipient.
- The plug-in will track each link that begins with http:// (or https://). If you have links that you do not wish to track, you would need to begin them without the http://.
- HTML opens are not tracked for emails sent with the plug-in.
- Not compatible with Entourage.
- If you are interested in using a hotkey to send your mailings, continue to this article.
If you get an “Incompatible Plugins Disabled” message:
- The version of the Snow Leopard plug-in is compatible with Apple Mail version 4.5 and below. The version of the Mountain Lion/Lion plug-in is compatible with Apple Mail version 6.0.
- Otherwise, please re-download and re-install the latest version, and restart Apple Mail.
- Your version of Apple Mail can be found by clicking on Mail > About Mail from within the Mail application.
If plugin is installed but ‘Send with PI’ button is greyed-out or not functioning when clicked:
- There may be an inactive plugin folder for a wrong or older version of the plugin installed.
- Search for an inactive or old versions of the plugin and uninstall. Restart Apple Mail.