Pardot provides for several different ways for prospects to be converted from anonymous visitors into known people. Here are the different ways prospects can be converted in order of ease of implementation:
- Using a form as an iframe on your page to capture the prospect’s information and show a custom thank you message.
- Using a form handler to receive the input of an existing form on your site and then redirect the form submission contents to another page on your site (or another URL like the Salesforce.com web to lead form receiver).
- Using a landing page with a form to capture the prospect’s information and show a custom thank you page.
- Any link click within an email sent via list emails or by using the Outlook, Thunderbird, Gmail and Apple Mail plug-ins.
- Using an existing form processing system and generating a dynamic iframe, one pixel by one pixel in size, that requests a form handler URL with the form fields passed as parameters.
- With the above methods, prospects are able to convert naturally through their own action. However, you can also manually assign visitor activity to a new or existing prospect using the Create / associate link in the Visitor module. (This is not as easy as it seems since you should be very sure that the person you are assigning is the person visiting your site!)
The CRM, if present, is always the master in terms of prospect information. For example, if you use number two above, Pardot would then look for that prospect in the CRM and pull down the other fields for scoring and automation rule purposes.