The ‘Autofill Location Data’ feature happens immediately when the prospect submits a form. We source this data from a local instance of the Maxmind GeoIP database, which you can demo at maxmind.com.
You can enable the feature by going into your account settings at the top right-hand corner under your email address, click Edit Account and check the box for Auto-fill Prospect Location Data from IP Address.
When data is automatically filled into the state or country field, you will see globe icon appear next to that data in the prospect record.
- The format is country name and state/province two-letter code (e.g. GA for Georgia)
- We do not fill in State for any non-US or Canada IP addresses. For those visitors we will only append country.
- We will not automatically fill in these two fields if any location data is already filled in for the prospect; this includes the Address One, Address Two, Country, State, City, and Zip fields. This prevents any possibility of address data not matching (e.g. you already had state info on a prospect but they visit your site from another country while on vacation).
- Since we use the IP address of the prospect, it may not always be 100% accurate. The prospect may be accessing your site while traveling, in another state or country. Also note that the IP address is of the prospect’s actual location. The headquarters of his or her company may be in a different location.
- If your form or form handler is set to ‘kiosk’ mode, the country and state from prospect IP address will not auto-append.
- Geo-IP data is captured through WhoIs lookup; if no data for City or State is available, no data will be appended to the prospect record.