- 1 Concept
- 2 Create a Test List
- 3 Send a Test Email to Your Test List Via the Email Template Wizard
- 4 Send a Test Email to Your Test List Via the Send Email Wizard
- 5 Send a Test One-to-One Email Via the Send Email Wizard
- 6 Revert to Sending Test Emails to Individual Email Addresses
- 7 Tracked Links, Variable Tags and the From Field
- 8 Email Rendering Preview & Spam Analysis
- 9 Notes
Successful email tests are key to ensuring your email campaigns deploy as intended. We recommend that you test all emails drafts and email templates before sending. When testing your emails, you will want to confirm that formatting appears as designed, populated data is correct and that all links direct to the correct destinations.
Send test emails in Pardot using the test step in the Email Template wizard and Email Wizard to receive proof emails to test both email design and rendering as well as variable tags and links. You should also click all links in the email to confirm that they work properly.
Create a Test List
Creating an Test List for emails allows you to easily create prospects from your account’s users, and designate them as members of an Email Test list. Test Lists are available for use in both the Email Template wizard and Email Send wizard. Emails sent to to the test list will have tracked links rewritten and variable tags populated to simulate what the prospect will see when the email is sent.
Create a Test List
- Navigate to Marketing > Segmentation > Lists
- Click + Add list
- Name your list ‘Internal Test’ or some other name that will easy to reference
- Check the “Email Test List” checkbox
Your test lists will only be accessible in Step 4 of the Email Template wizard and Step 6 of the Send Email wizard.
Convert Users to Prospect to be Added to Test List
Create prospects from Pardot users that you would like to receive a live test.
- Navigate to Admin > User Management > Users
- Select the users from the User Table that you would like to be prospects for your test list by checking the checkbox next to their name
- Use the batch action located in the dropdown to the lower left of the user table to “create prospects and add to test list”
Note: If the users are not currently prospects, new prospect records will be created for them with their email addresses. If the users do currently exist as prospects, they will be added to the list specified. A duplicate record will not be created.
Add Prospects to Test List
Any prospect can be a member of an account’s test list.
- Navigate to Prospects > Prospects list
- Search for your user’s prospect record by using the filter bar
- Click on the user’s prospect record
- Click ‘Lists’ in the prospect navigation bar
- Select your ‘Internal Test List’ from the dropdown menu
- Click ‘Save lists’
Repeat these steps for each user’s email address that you would like to include on your test list.
You can also use table actions to add prospects to the Test List:
- Navigate to Prospects > Prospects List
- Select all desired users in the prospect table. To select the whole table (not just the prospects visible on the current page) tick the checkbox at the top left of the table and then click the link that appears with the full number of prospects on the table.
- Scroll to the bottom of the table and select Add to List from the dropdown field.
- Select the Test List from the available lists in the dropdown field.
Send a Test Email to Your Test List Via the Email Template Wizard
- Navigate to Marketing > Emails > New Email Template
- Complete the Email Template Wizard as normal
- In Step 4, select your internal test list from the dropdown field and click ‘Send test emails’.
Send a Test Email to Your Test List Via the Send Email Wizard
- Navigate to Marketing > Emails
- Click + Send New Email.
- Complete the Send Email Wizard as normal
- In Step 6, select your internal test list from the dropdown field and click ‘Send test emails’.
Send a Test One-to-One Email Via the Send Email Wizard
- Create yourself as a prospect
- Make sure that you are not already a prospect in the system.
- Navigate to Prospects > Prospects List.
- Click the +Add Prospect.
- Create a prospect for each email address that you would like to test.
- Be sure to add each prospect to the test list.
- If you would like to send an email to only one individual, you do not need to add them to a list.
- Send yourself an email
- If you would like to send an email to only one individual, you can do this by clicking on their email address in the prospect profile and filling out the send email form.
- If you are sending to a test list:
- Navigate to the Marketing > Email > New Email.
- Follow the email wizard steps.
- Select in the email template for the appropriate test.
- Make sure that you select your test list in Step 4: Recipients.
- When the email arrives in your inbox, it should include all variable tag data.
- For example, if you used the %%first_name%% tag, you should see your name displayed.
- Links will also be tracked/rewritten by the system and will appear using your vanity tracker domain.
Revert to Sending Test Emails to Individual Email Addresses
To toggle on sending test emails to individual email addresses, click the Send one-off untracked emails link. This will revert your test options and allow you to send test HTML and text proofs without tracked links or populated variable tags.
Tracked Links, Variable Tags and the From Field
Emails sent to to the test list will have tracked links rewritten and variable tags populated to simulate what the prospect will see when the email is sent.
Clicking on a tracked link in a test email will redirect you to an interim page that displays a tracked link success message and shows the full URL as a hyperlink. Click the tracked link to be redirected to your URL for testing.
- This interim page will only display for emails sent to test lists. The actual email sent to your prospects will direct them to the actual URL.
- When testing an email, opens and clicks made during the test email sends are recorded in the email template’s report.
Any email sent to the test list will also replicate the “From” user specified on the email template or email draft level so that all the content in the draft or email template exactly replicates a prospect’s interaction with the email.
Email Rendering Preview & Spam Analysis
If you have the Gold Email Package, you can also preview the content and subject of your email in multiple email clients and test your email against several spam filters. Instructions and more information are available here.
- Each Test List can hold up to 100 prospects per list.
- The Test Email Send does not provide HTML and Text versions separately; the Test Email sends a multipart HTML email, and your email inbox will decide which version (HTML or Text) to display.
- Test Email Sends are available for both the Email Template wizard and the Send New Email wizard.
- Standard, Pro, and Ultimate Edition accounts can use Test Lists.
- Email Test lists are exclusively used for internal tests.
- When clicking the Unsubscribe link in your Test Email, you won’t actually be unsubscribed! You’ll see a confirmation page to show that the link is working as intended.
- Test lists cannot be dynamic lists, CRM visible, public lists (on the Email Preference Center), or scheduled for archiving.