The email editor allows you to easily create emails and email templates. Email templates allow you to create text and HTML email designs and store them for future use in list emails, one-to-one emails, drip campaigns and form autoresponders. A separate wizard, the email wizard, is used to send email templates and ad-hoc created emails to lists of prospects.
There are two versions of the email editor :
1. One version is for simple emails where the WYSIWYG is loaded right into the page
2. A full version of the editor for table and region emails and email templates
Click Marketing in the left navigation and then Emails in the resulting sub-navigation.
From here you can either Create new email or Create new email template.
There are two sections within the Content section:
- HTML Content :
- Within this section you can choose the areas of the email that you want to edit. Hover over and then click to highlight the content area to be edited. Double click to bring up the content area in edit mode.
- For basic email editing options (undo, redo, edit, style, copy, delete, move section up, move section down) simply click the area to edit once. For more detailed editing (font styling, inserting links and images, etc), double click your content area for the full WYSIWYG menu.
- “Repeatable Sections” allow you to duplicate a table.
- You can also toggle between HTML Content and email’s source code by clicking the “View Source” icon at the top right of the HTML Content editor. This way you are able to customize the styling from the source code as well.
- Text Content
- Make sure to include a text version of your email in the Text Content editor located below the HTML email editor. We recommend using the Import from HTML button and change any formatting to ensure the content looks correct when viewed as a text-only email.
- Note that hard breaks will be inserted automatically every 73 characters. If the 73rd character is in the middle of a word, the break will be inserted at the beginning of the word. To control where breaks are in your text-only emails, insert them yourself, but keep in mind you’ll need to have a break at least every 73 characters.
- Please ensure that your URLs do not have spaces or special characters in them. If they do, please ensure that you properly encode them.
- You must use inline CSS if you intend to control the email styling via CSS.
- When you create an email from scratch through the “Send New Email” wizard, Pardot does not automatically save the email as a template for quick re-use. If you are creating / sending an email that you are planning on using often we recommend creating an Email Template instead.
- When creating emails, the %%unsubscribe%% and %%account_address%% are automatically inserted to ensure CAN-SPAM compliance.
- Since Pardot’s email editor supports content regions, your email templates’ tables, cells and paragraphs can either be opened for editing or locked from user edits. If you’re an administrator or designer and want to limit the editable areas of your templates, you can use email regions so only sections that you specify are editable. This is for users with Intermediate HTML Knowledge.
- You can use dynamic content in emails by simply clicking on the lightning bolt within Pardot’s email editor. Learn more about using dynamic content in emails here.