The Data.com connector allows you to quickly jump to the Data.com results for a prospect or their company. Simply click on the Data.com icon on the prospect’s profile to launch a new window with their Data.com information. If you do not already have the Data.com connector enabled in your account, follow the steps below to create it.
- Click on Administration in the left navigation.
- Click Connectors in the resulting sub-navigation.
- Click + Create new connector.
- Select Data.com.
- Click Create Connector to activate.
Creating the connector will activate the Data.com feature across all of your user accounts.
If you click the Data.com icon, it will open up a dialog showing you which fields are available to pull down from Data.com. You can see which fields you already have data for in Pardot and choose whether or not to pull in the Data.com information (and overwrite the existing data).
Why are some data points not pre-checked?
- Pardot does not pre-check Revenue or Employees. We request these from Data.com in the form of an integer (rather than the more intuitive range) since that is what certain CRM systems (including salesforce.com) require when syncing with those fields. Since this is not always accurate, we have left this up to the user.
- Pardot also does not pre-check phone number. Since phone number is not a free data point in Data.com (you must have an account and pay for the information), we are searching for the company record’s phone number rather than the contact record’s.
Why isn’t Data.com data automatically pulled in?
Since Data.com is a crowd-sourced database, you will occasionally see records that contain inaccurate or incomplete data. Because there is the potential for a miss, we did not want to allow automatic syncing with Data.com.
Can I tie this in to my paid Data.com account?
Not currently. For now, we are using Data.com’s public API’s to access free data (which is a wealth of data). You will not be able to pull in paid information through this feature.
What if I still just want to search for the record in Data.com?
Not a problem — you can still pull up the search by clicking the Data.com icon in the data sync pop-up. There have been no changes to the company lookup — the icon next to the company name still pulls up a search in Data.com.