There are times when a Pardot User must be deleted from your Pardot account. There are a couple things to keep in mind during the process of deleting a user. When you delete a user, that user is archived in the Recycle Bin and they can no longer access your Pardot account. However, the prospects assigned to that user remain in Pardot (they are not deleted) and remain assigned to that user. If you want to reassign prospects to a different user, do this before deleting the user.
Any elements that the user created will remain unaffected when the user is deleted. All landing pages/templates created by the user will remain in the system. The created by value will appear blank if the user has been deleted. We do recommend that you check your automation rules and completion actions on forms/files/custom redirects. If any of your rules are assigning prospects to that user, please correct or delete the rule. If any completion actions are set up to notify the user, you may wish to remove or modify these actions as well.
Steps we recommend
If you are about to delete a user, please consider the following steps.
1. Assigned Prospects
Do you want the prospects in Pardot to remain assigned to the deleted user after the user is deleted? If so, proceed to step 2. If not, follow the steps below.
- If your Pardot account is connected to a CRM, you will need to reassign all of the user’s prospects in the CRM. Your CRM is the master of the “Assigned User” field so the prospects can’t be reassigned in Pardot.
- Once the prospects are reassigned in the CRM, the new assignments will sync down to Pardot, and the prospects’ assigned user will be updated. If you are reassigning the prospects to a brand new user, make sure the new user has their CRM username verified.
- If your Pardot account is not connected to a CRM, you can reassign your user’s prospects in Pardot.
- Go to Admin > User Management > Users.
- Find the user you wish to delete in the User table and click their name.
- On their user profile, click the link at the top to “Assign prospects to a different user.”
- Select a user from the dropdown who you want the leads assigned to and click “Assign all prospects.” Depending on the number of prospects to be reassigned, they may be reassigned immediately or you will be notified via email when the reassignments are complete.
- Once your reassignments are complete, move to step 2.
2. Modify User Actions and Notifications
- Navigate to the user’s profile in Pardot: Admin > User Management > Users > Find the user in the user table > click their name.
- On this user profile page, scroll to the bottom of the page to the “Usage” table. This table shows you which marketing elements have completion actions assigning a prospect to or notifying this user. For example a form’s action to assign prospects to this user or a custom redirect’s action to notify this user will be in this table. (If you don’t see a “Usage” table for the user, they are not being referenced in any marketing element’s completion actions.)
- Review the “Usage” table and decide which completion actions need to be modified.
- Completion actions on forms, files, custom redirects, etc, will be automatically removed from marketing elements when you delete this user. Decide which, if any, completion actions need to be changed to another user.
- Review the Marketing section for automation rules, drip programs and dynamic liststhat reference the user you want to delete. These items don’t appear in the usage table.
- When you delete your user, these marketing items’ criteria and actions will not be updated automatically. They will retain their criteria/actions and in place of the user’s name it will read, “User Deleted.” For example: “Assign prospect to user: Toby Costa” becomes “Assign prospect to user: User Deleted”
- Automation rules with actions to “Assign to User” or “Notify User” will still match prospects however the rule’s actions to assign the prospect to the deleted user or notify the deleted user will not execute.
- Once you have adjusted your completion actions, rules, drips and lists accordingly, proceed to step three.
3. Delete User
To delete the user, follow these steps:
- Go to Admin > User Management > Users.
- Find the user in the user table and click their name.
- On their user profile, click “Delete.”
- When prompted with “Are you sure?”, click Yes.
- If there are remaining completion actions referencing this user, you will be prompted with “The following completion actions reference this user:” and “These completion actions will be removed if you continue.” Click “Continue” to confirm to delete this actions along with the deletion of the user.
- Deleting the user archives them to your Recycle Bin and makes the user profile inactive which will prevent the user from logging into your Pardot account.
Undeleting a user
In Pardot, navigate to Admin > Recycle Bin > Users > click the Action gear icon next to a specific user and select “Undelete.” Then navigate to Admin > User Management > Users and verify that the undeleted user is once again listed as a user. Undeleting a user does not restore their completion actions to marketing elements.