One of the best ways to increase your blog viewership is to start guest blogging on other sites. Not only is this beneficial for you, but it also benefits the blog owner — so it’s a win-win for both parties. But it can be intimidating when you first start guest blogging. Which sites should you approach? What kind of content do you use? Should you recycle content or write something new?
Fear not, for we have put together a few guidelines for guest blogging, featured below:
- Look for blogs that have a similar target audience to your own. Research their audiences and the kinds of content that they’re interested in, and see what topics have done well in the past to help generate content ideas. If you see that posts about social media have been shared hundreds of times, but content about email marketing seems less popular, that should give you a good idea of what that audience is looking for.
- When you approach the blog’s moderator about guest blogging for their site, your pitch will be that much stronger if you already have an idea of what you want to write about. Bring up specific topics, or even have a working title and a brief intro in place. But be open to their suggestions, too! After all, it is their blog.
Once you’ve identified a site and decided on a topic, the writing begins. If you need a motivational boost during the writing process, just consider a few of the many benefits of guest blogging:
1. Increased traffic. One of the biggest advantages of guest blogging is the chance to put your content on high traffic sites. This means that you have a great opportunity to spread your brand to a new audience who may not be familiar with your ideas. Make sure you include links back to your own site to help capitalize on your guest post’s traffic. Just keep backlinks to one or two at the most — you don’t want to shamelessly self-promote.
2. Greater authority. The more you write on a topic, the greater your authority is on that subject. Having your content on several different sites rather than just your own greatly contributes to this authority. It also helps create backlinks to your content, which will increase the “authority” of your blog in search engine rankings.
3. A better portfolio. While you’re busy building up your credibility through guest blogging, you’re also improving your portfolio. Being able to show that your writing skills are in demand will help to increase your profile as a sought-after guest blogger. The more you write, the more opportunities you will have open up for you!
4. Increased exposure. Even if your guest posts do not result in major spikes in your site’s traffic, they’re still increasing your exposure to new audiences. This exposure can increase brand awareness in people who may not have heard of your company, product, or service.
When you think about it, you really have nothing to lose when it comes to guest blogging. Now, let’s start writing!
Have you seen any other benefits to guest blogging? Let us know in the comments below!