Creating an Email Template from Scratch
With over 30 great blueprints to choose from, we recommend starting with a pre-formatted layout, tweaking it, then using the resulting email template for regular emails, such as monthly newsletters. This will ensure you have consistent branding and styling in all of your email correspondence with prospects.
Follow the steps below to start using a preexisting layout/blueprint:
- Navigate to Marketing > Email > New Email Template.
- In Step 1: Select “Multi-part from Pre-formatted Layouts” email type.
- Click Next.
- In Step 1a: Select a layout that looks closest to what your finished product will look like.
- Click Next.
- Customize the blueprint using the main editor menu and section editor menu:
- Replace image placeholders with static branding images when applicable (e.g. a logo at the top of an email). The placeholder dimensions ensure proper rendering in email clients so try to use similar dimensions when applying your graphics.
- Direct any social media or company homepage links in your header/footer to the proper URLs.
- Edit the text and link styling for each section in the WYSIWYG, using the Edit CSS Style or Edit HTML Source buttons for more advanced styling options.
- Copy repeatable sections of the template to customize the content blocks available for use. To convert an unrepeatable section into a repeatable one, simply add “pardot-repeatable” to the respective div, tr, or td tag.
- If you wish to lock certain sections down and only have specific parts of the email be editable, add “pardot-region” to the div, tr, or td tag of sections you wish to make editable. Once this is in the source, all sections without “pardot-region” will be locked and uneditable.
Creating an Email Template from a 3rd Party Builder
If you prefer to create your email in a 3rd party builder and import the HTML, copy that source code to your clipboard. In the Pardot email editor click the “Update Source” button in the top right corner. Remove all existing HTML and paste the source code from your clipboard into the email editor’s source code.
Upgrade Existing Templates to Use Advanced Features
When you open existing templates in the new email builder, everything will by default be repeatable and editable.
- To convert a repeatable section into an unrepeatable one, simply remove “pardot-repeatable” from the respective div, tr, or td tag.
- If you’d like to lock certain sections down and only have specific parts of the email be editable, add “pardot-region” to the div, tr, or td tag of sections you wish to make editable. Once this is in the source, all sections without “pardot-region” will be locked and uneditable.
Note: Make sure to include a text version of your email in the Text Content editor located below the HTML email editor. We recommend using the Import from HTML button and change any formatting to ensure the content looks correct when viewed as a text-only email.